Thursday 2 November 2017

Down the Rabbit Hole


In the spirit of Halloween, I'd like to show you a cosplay I finished back in February. It also just happened to be what I chose to wear for my Halloween Tea Party on Tuesday.

This is my first ever cosplay, and I went sweet and simple with Alice from Disney's adaption of Alice in Wonderland. To be even more precise, this is a cosplay of the costume that Kathryn Beaumont wore for the live-action filming that the animators used as a reference while making the Disney Classic. I was lucky enough to find a collection of on-set photos of her here.



The bodice is a modified Christine Haynes "Emery" dress bodice. I made the neckline higher and drew a new collar for it. I also modified the sleeves to be puff sleeves.
I had muslined the pattern beforehand and made quite a few fit changes, but that will be a story for another day. The bodice is fully lined and closes in the back with an invisible zipper.

The skirt is a full circle skirt drafted from my hip measurement and gathered to fit the bodice.

Both the dress and apron fabrics are eco cotton broadcloth from Stoff&Stil in the colors "baby blue" and "white". I think I used 4 meters of blue and 1 meter of white.


The bib part of the apron was draped on my dress form, and the rest (belt, skirt, and bow) was just squares. All edges are hemmed with a double-folded baby hem. The bow is permanently attached to the belt, and it closes with 5 press studs hidden by the bow.

The stockings came from my 18th-century wardrobe and the headband is made out of a few pieces of fold-over-elastic. I am wearing both my 26-inch white petticoat and my 22-inch black petticoat with the dress, as well as a pair of drawers with elastic and lace at the hem. Unfortunately, I made the drawers about 5 cm too short, and they are only visible while twirling, jumping, etc.



So far, the cosplay has been worn for a Carnival party at Uni, as a Carnival helper at our community center, at Hydracon 2017 and for my Halloween Tea Party. I have felt very cute every time, and have gotten lots of compliments on it. 

I feel like my dress is very accurate to the original costume and the Disney movie, despite it being my first ever cosplay. I have been invited back to Hydracon next year and already have a gazillion ideas for more cosplays. I guess only time will tell if I will get something done in time?

Until next time, here is a picture with Alice and her beloved cat, Dinah, aka Marie.

/Angelica

No comments:

Post a Comment