Wednesday 17 September 2014

Houndstooth Hollyburn


This lovely houndstooth fabric was one of the first fabrics to be cut on my new sewing table. It is pure wool and I bought it as a remnant at the lovely fabric store in Videbæk for 30 kr. (6 USD). I had exactly 1,45 meters  of 150 cm wide fabric, and it was a perfect amount for this skirt.

The pattern is the Hollyburn skirt by Sewaholic. It was my first time using the pattern, but I'm sure it won't be my last!



The skirt is sewn almost as designed out of the envelope. I made a size 8 and only chanced the waistband width (down to 2,5 cm when finishes) and the zipper (invisible instead of centered slot zipper). I kept the length as intended for version B, and it hits just above my knees. The fit is spot-on! The waist has the perfect amount of ease - just enough to allow a thin sweater to be tucked in but it still sits right at the waist when worn alone.

The skirt is pretty basic, and it fills a massive gap in my wardrobe. It is very practical but still cute and cozy. I wear mostly dresses or jeans/t-shirts,  but really want to sew more cute skirts and blouses/tops. Any suggestions for cute tops to wear with skirts?


The insides are finished with my overlocker and all seams pressed open. The fabric frayed a lot, but was otherwise lovely to work with. The waistband and hem is finished invisibly by hand.



All-in-all, this was an easy and highly satisfying sew. I really love Sewaholics patterns, so far they just seem to work for my body type. No major alterations or fit issues at all, Love it!

I do not have any specific plans for my next couple of makes, but I think I want to take part in the Cat Lady Sewing Challenge hosted by the lovely Miss Crayola Creepy. I'm considering making up the Sewaholic Tofino pants in this lovely hello kitty knit fabric from my stash:



2 comments:

  1. That's really cute! I think a basic tee goes really well with skirts, like maybe Nettie or Renfrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I have considered making the Nettie, but i'm not totally sure on the bodysuit-part yet.

      Delete